Monday, January 12, 2015

Doctor's office = Our 2nd Home

So, Mommy Peaches became sick Saturday, out of the blue!   I had started feeling REALLY well all last week.  I vomited more liquids and solids than I thought that I possibly had within my body between late Saturday night and through 7:30 Sunday morning.  Reagan was feeling fine and in good spirits, and while I'd rather be sick myself than have my 5-month old infant baby feeling ill, I realized that it would be super difficult for me to take care of a healthy baby if I were sick.   Aunt Amy P. came to the rescue when I called her early Sunday morning and asked her, at the very last minute, to spend 6+ hours in our apartment to take care of Reagan while I tried to take care of myself.  Even though she is my really good friend and Reagan's Tennessean aunt and would come to help because Aunt Amy P. is such a wonderful person, it was still extremely nice, awesome and beyond her "aunt duties" to drive over Sunday morning to take care of a baby and even help out her sicky mom at the same time, in addition to taking out our 110-pound yellow lab, Hank, for two long walks.  David works on weekends, and he's the only one working on Sundays at the golf club, so it was difficult for him to take off work and stay home.   All I can say is that I owe Amy P. about two hundred mani/pedi gift certificates!!!  She is the BEST.  


That being said, I felt a little better Sunday afternoon but really was in no shape to return to school on Monday, so I took the second of my four remaining sick days for the rest of the school year.  I'm hoping and praying that Reagan and I stay perfectly healthy through May!  

I decided to take Reagan to Day Care this morning anyway, so that both of us could have a few hours away from each other.  I could rest without needing to take care of Reagan, and Reagan could get away from me so that she would stay away from my germs, at least for a day.  Since I was dropping Reagan off at 9:00 AM today, it was 1.5 hours later than I usually do before I drive to work, and therefore more crowded because other parents seem to drop off their kids around this time before their work.  I'm usually one of the first to arrive at Day Care with Reagan.  But, this morning, it seemed extra chaotic.  Apparently, two infants had contracted the extremely contagious RSV virus, and the director and teachers were trying to catch each parent that walked into the infant room to inform them about this news, and they were advising parents to inform them of their children's symptoms and recommending that the children see the doctor, depending on their symptoms. 

Reagan had been in a good mood at home, slept through the night (went to bed at 9:00 PM, woke up at 5:30 AM), and seemed really healthy to me.  I also told the day care director that Reagan went directly to the doctor last Thursday afternoon when they sent her home from Day Care that day.  I told them that Reagan has been to the doctor's office every other week since the first week of December, and has received a variety of medications, so I didn't know what else that the doctor could tell us or give to Reagan that we haven't already heard or received...

Unfortunately, after I dropped off Reagan that morning, I received the phone call that I dread every school day when I have my cell phone on vibrate and sitting on my desk for me to check in between classes... Day Care called at 3:30 PM and said that Reagan had vomited and that I needed to come pick her up.  Granted, Reagan made it through most of the day as a "healthy child," but once she vomits, they need to call a parent to pick her up.  Plus, once I arrived at Day Care, the director and teachers said that because two infants (within the room of 7 infants total) had already called about their confirmed cases of the RSV virus, a very contagious respiratory virus in infants, that the day care teachers needed to call about any sort of symptom that they observed possibly relating to this virus.   


When I came to pick Reagan up, only she and one other infant remained in the nursery... Yikes!  Ironically, the other infant was the child of my good friend from school, and he is the youngest infant in the room!  I'm so glad that he was feeling fine!  The rest of the infants had either the confirmed RSV virus, or the parents of the other infants had taken their children to the doctor today because they needed them to be checked after learning that two infants in the room had the RSV virus.  

Therefore.... Reagan needs to go to the doctor, yet again, tomorrow.  First, I called Reagan's doctor's office after the phone call from Day Care this afternoon, and the nurse said that it didn't sound like Reagan had the symptoms of the RSV virus, but then 20 minutes later, when I went to Day Care, they said that Reagan could not return to Day Care until she saw the doctor and came back with a note confirming that Reagan tested negative for the RSV virus and was healthy enough to be in Day Care with other infants.  We are so thankful that David has Tuesdays and Wednesday off, so that I don't need to take another sick day from school, and he can take care of Reagan.  Fingers crossed that she still feels well and her doctor gives her permission to return to Day Care!

A highlight of the day was that Reagan could FaceTime with her Uncle Ryan to say "Happy Birthday" to him tonight!  (It's also the birthday of her mom's cousin, Chelsea!)   I think in the screenshot of her FaceTime phone call with Uncle Ryan above, that Reagan is wondering what is going on with Uncle Ry's hair...... Hey, it's his birthday, and he can do what he wants!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment