Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Results of glucose blood test

The nurse called me this afternoon with results from my blood tests that they did after I drank the glucose drink yesterday afternoon.

While I do not have gestational diabetes (whew!), the nurse said that I do have "mild anemia."  My doctor wants me to take an iron supplement each day.  The nurse did not sound as alarmed as my doctor did when my doctor called me with the abnormal AFP blood test results for the increased risk of chromosomal defects back in February.  Maybe it's a good sign that just the nurse called me this time and not my doctor.  This was not the worst that could happen, but I just don't seem to have any luck with getting 100% good news from any of my blood tests so far this year.  I guess we don't eat a lot of red meat at home because I only cook with chicken or we eat sandwiches, salads, soups and pizza for our casual dinners at home.  I try to eat any hamburgers, tacos or red meat that they serve in the school cafeteria and lots of broccoli and other vegetables with iron, but apparently it wasn't enough!  Again, I'm thankful that it's just mild anemia and nothing else that came back "abnormal" from these results.

Anyway, I went to Kroger's before a meeting I had tonight and grabbed some iron pills at the pharmacy.  As I cut the foil seal and took out the cotton swab, I was nervous that these guys would be some monstrous horse pills.  Instead, they were strange-looking, green pills that almost looked like M&Ms but with a puke-green color.  I will now be taking 5 pills every morning with my breakfast, but it's all worth it if it's keeping us both healthy!

Also, I ran into a man who lives in our apartments here who just noticed my pregnant belly as I stepped out of my car in the apartment parking lot.  After we chatted for a little, he ended our conversation by saying, "I will give you some pregnancy advice..." and I thought he was going to tell me something that I've heard so many times already... something about surviving the horrible heat that we have during Tennessee summers and how uncomfortable I will be as an 8-month pregnant lady in July down here and whatever I should do to cool down.  Instead, he said, "Make sure you exercise!  You will regret it if you don't!" I was surprised that this guy, practically a stranger to me, would tell a pregnant lady that  I should exercise and not to relax or take it easy, etc.  I guess he's right.

I told David this later, and he said, "Well by exercise, the man just means walking, and you're doing that."  I feel bad that I can't run anymore, but I just can't... I get light-headed more easily these days than I used to when I had fainting episodes as a non-pregnant lady, and now that I'm bigger, it's just not going to work until next fall.   But I'm okay with it all because I'm spending more time getting in some good walks and precious bonding time with this guy!



No comments:

Post a Comment