Thursday, May 1, 2014

Reflections on May 1st


Ummmm, come again?!?!  "You might begin to notice an INCREASE in contractions..." ???  I have not felt ANY contractions, and I did not think I would expect to feel such near-delivery symptoms as an almost 26-week pregnant woman!  This news on one of my iPhone apps kind of scares me!

During my last period Spanish class today, I heard some kids talking before class about the "most awful experience" from the period before.  I know that had talked about dissecting a cat one day last week and later about searching through the poop of an owl another day in their biology class.  So, I asked them, "What was so awful that you did today?"  And they replied, "We watched the birthing video!"  Normally, it would sound like no big deal to me and I'd say, "Yeah, that's a part of life!" but it woke me up a little... whatever real video footage they saw in today's biology class will be what I am going to experience in just 3 months... Yikes!  I'm feeling relieved that doctors get paid the big bucks to take care of the dirty part below my legs to deliver our little miracle, and I'm preparing myself to to the dirty work up on top in pushing!  

The other day, I walked down the hallway of the music classrooms on the way to my own room, and one of my former students was sitting against the wall studying before the first period class when she said, "OHHHH!" as I walked by.  I looked down at my grey cashmere shirt that my mom bought for me last Christmas and that had some stretch in it, but wasn't quite stretchy enough to cover just the skin by my hips, and I said, "Yeah, I'm still trying to fit into my normal clothes!"  She replied, "No... I  had heard that you were pregnant... It's just that I have not seen you yet, and you sure look pregnant!"

 (from Google images)


Well, I guess I'm getting bigger.  David knows that after I have been looking at myself in the mirror for the last 3 months and saying, "I don't look pregnant at all.  I can't wait until I look like I have a big basketball under my shirt!" that my wish has been granted.  I'm not quite at the basketball part yet, but I'm definitely feeling like it lately.  I just roll out of bed every morning like a bowling ball and get ready for school. 

Don't get me wrong... I'm savoring all of the "bigness" of it!  It just still seems so surreal that I am a lady almost in her 3rd trimester right now.  Last October, August seemed like so far away... not anymore!

No comments:

Post a Comment