Wednesday, June 18, 2014

33 weeks, 1 day doctor's appointment

Yesterday, I had my first of two doctor's appointments this week.  The baby was quiet yesterday with the non-stress test and did not kick much, but that made sense when my doctor hooked me up to the ultrasound machine afterwards, and we could see that the baby was sleeping.  The fact that she was sleeping allowed my doctor to take and print off several good face profile pictures of the little girl.


My doctor said that the baby "looks a lot like your husband" as we were watching the ultrasound screen.  Maybe it's the nose?

She also said that the baby is measuring at 4 pounds 12 ounces and that all body parts are still measuring in the 33-34 week range.  This weight, measured using the ultrasound machine, puts the baby in the 47% percentile.  Everything looked good.


I was feeling pretty stressed yesterday, between insurance issues with the delivery day and getting lesson plans ready for my maternity leave.  Our insurance company is playing hardball and making it very difficult to allow me to receive in-network benefits (basically a few thousand dollars!) to deliver at the hospital where my doctor will deliver the baby.  We've sent in a mail request, sent a fax yesterday and are just playing the waiting game to hear for sure if we can make it all work without ending up paying large bills at the end.  I was thinking that eventually it would all work out, however, my doctor was pretty nervous yesterday when I told her that I got a letter back from the insurance saying that they need more information to allow me to deliver at this particular hospital.  She and my nurse were busy making calls and faxing yesterday.  I still haven't heard back... crossing my fingers that this baby stays in my belly until we work out all of this insurance junk!

And, my language department colleagues and I have been working hard this week on campus to develop our proficiency-based curriculum so that we are set to use it for next fall.  I'm glad that we're doing it because it's a great direction that we're taking with the program, and it feels good to get some of the prep work done now in June so we have a few weeks this summer to relax!  But, I still don't know for sure who is covering my French and Spanish classes during my maternity leave that begins in early August, and I really won't have the energy to communicate with the new teachers nor have time to do any extra lesson planning with them in 4 weeks when I'll be full-term.  My brain feels fried this week, so I'm hoping that I'll get some support soon, because this kid is going to be here sooner than we all think, and I don't know if my school is aware that my doctor is betting on her being a July baby and not August anymore.

Well, I guess I can only control the things that I can control... the rest is someone else's problem, and I'll just accept that I can't do anything about it!  :)




No comments:

Post a Comment