Monday, July 21, 2014

38 weeks, still pregnant

The baby girl is measuring 38 weeks and technically only 14 more days until the "deadline" of August 4th!
Although, our newest doctor said that "there is no way" that she'll let me stay pregnant until August 4th, and if some action doesn't happen this week, like all my doctors so far had expected, then she'll likely induce me at the beginning of the 39th week, on July 28th.
That is what we learned at our last doctor's appointment.  But, we go to our 38-week appointment tomorrow, bright and early at 7:30 AM, so hopefully we don't wait around too long.  I was spoiled at my original OBGYN's small, intimate office where I got in and out quickly.  

Now where we go, the UT-Medical Center, we have waited at least 30 minutes after our set appointment times until I actually got called in to have the nurse take my weight and urine sample and ask me questions. But then they send me back into the lobby waiting room with David to wait again until they call us back into the ultrasound machine room and then finally talk to the doctor.  None of the "Fit Pregnancy" or "Parenting" magazines on the lobby tables interested David much, so he took a nap until it was time for him to join me in seeing the doctor.
Tomorrow, the doctor will tell us the newest game plan for delivering the baby in the next week.  She'll check how much I have dilated, estimate the baby's current weight based on the ultrasound machine waves, see if the baby's head is still downward and plan a possible induction date if the baby doesn't come herself this week.  

Since I'm considered a "high risk pregnancy," all my doctors have really anticipated either an early baby arrival or advocated to deliver her not much later than 39 weeks because of the complications that I've had.  
We're pretty much set with baby preparations and it sounds like plans at my school for my maternity leave are finally set, which is a relief.  Since I'm still coaching cross country this fall, even though I'm not teaching, which some people have called me crazy for doing, I am busy now organizing cross country plans for two teams and doing loads of laundry and cleaning out junk from our apartment that I won't have time to do in a week, so I have plenty on my plate before any baby excitement happens this week.
David's boss from the Tennessee National Golf Club was very nice and donated his children's dresser that came with a mini closet with glass doors in which we could hang the baby girl clothes.  Our friend, Amy P., gave us a good start with several baby hangers but we received so many adorable dresses, sweaters, and even two baby bath robes, that I probably need to make another run to Buy Buy Baby to grab more hangers for ALL of the "little doll clothes" as my mom-in-law likes to call them. :)

I am feeling good about continuing to coach because I still want to be involved with students and colleagues from school this fall while on maternity leave and get a few hours of "outdoor time" every day with people other than a baby...and the little extra money, not a lot by any means, does help to pay our bills!

After David came home from a long day of work last night, he and I rested on the bed in the guest room/baby room together and just looked around and reflected for a few minutes... We couldn't believe how much we had transformed this little old guest room in our apartment, or that we would be very soon changing diapers and rocking a crying baby back to sleep in that room.  We're excited to see what we learn at tomorrow's doctor's appointment.

Lastly, David and I are bummed that we will not make it to my family's annual "Miller Open" family reunion golf tournament this upcoming weekend in Colorado.  David came to his first Miller Open in 2008... I can't believe it's already been 6 years.  That's when he first got a taste of my mom's side of the family, which he loves, and they got a taste of him.   While my cousin, Carson, was the big golf champion in 2008, David did earn an impressive double eagle on a hole the first day, which I did not realize was so rare and such a big deal when I first heard about it... I think I told him a simple, "Hey, that's good!"  It was also at this 2008 reunion when my cousin, Allison, got engaged to Nick, and when David met one of the matriarchs of the family, my great Aunt Susie, who was known as "Sparkler" for her great energy and was the beautiful co-queen with my grandma of the family. 

Below are some throw-back pictures from our 2008 Miller Open family reunion golf tournament: 



No comments:

Post a Comment