Sunday, September 7, 2014

1st Cross Country Meet!

It was an early Saturday morning, and I warned the other coaches that I definitely wouldn't make it on time for our team's warm-up at 7:45 AM before the races, but Reagan and I arrived just before the team meeting and races to prepare our runners and cheer them on at her first high school cross country meet! 
 We were up for a feeding and diaper change at 4:30 AM, so we took a quick nap before getting ready to head over to the local park in Knoxville where our team would compete. 

 I shopped online with an Amazon gift certificate that we received to purchase a Spartans onesie for Reagan to show some school spirit.  Yes, it is technically a Michigan State Spartan clothing item, but we have the same mascot at our school, so it's very convenient to get one online!
 It has green sequins that make up the shape of a Spartan head on the front and has the word "Spartans" on the back.  It's good quality, which is nice, so she can wear it for future cross country meets and sporting events to which I might be able to miraculously drive Reagan when we go out in public again!
 While Reagan had been on a good sleeping routine lately with 2-3 hour chunks of napping at scheduled times, she's been very fussy these past few days.  While 2-3 hours of sleep at a time does not sound wonderful, at least she did it at regular times so we could plan for it, and we were able to get her to sleep once we figured out if she needed a diaper change, to play a little, or usually was just hungry.
 So, after a lot of unsuccessful attempts to please Reagan and get her to go back to sleep, David asked  a colleague at his golf course, who is also a young mother, about what to do.  She suggested that we start putting some Gerber baby cereal, either rice or oatmeal, and preferably banana flavor because her kid loved it, mixed into a bottle of Similac formula.
She said this worked wonders for her and the baby went immediately to sleep every time.  I'm about to take on a new challenge by taking Reagan to Kroger by myself for the first time and get some of this magic cereal to see if it works this afternoon.  She hasn't slept for more than 30 minutes for a span of 7-8 hours the last few days, and it's really difficult to even eat a snack myself, use the bathroom or take Hank out for 2 minutes to pee, let alone take a shower every day.  For example, I just realized how gross it was that I took off the nail polish from my toes today that I had on when I gave birth to Reagan 6 weeks ago.  Yikes!  I hope this cereal/formula mix works! David and I are really going to need this sleeping routine to get down pat, so I can take a few hours for myself to do school/cross country stuff and just get out and exercise a little myself, and so we can all get some decent sleep, so that we look and act less like walking zombies.
 When Reagan finally went to sleep earlier this afternoon, and I got a break to eat something and shower, I found Hank resting under her bassinet.  It looked like he was babysitting her for me while I took 15 minutes to myself!  I thought it was cute, so I took some pictures.




No comments:

Post a Comment