Sunday, April 6, 2014

Prom Night and other Memories

Tonight was the prom night for the high school at which I teach in Knoxville, Tennessee.  It was also the last prom for the group of 9 senior students who have been a part of my "advisory group" since I first came to Webb School in Fall 2010.   Below is a photo of all of us from last week:



For the seniors and for me, the conclusion of this four year period is the end of one era and the beginning of new one.  As I helped the seniors adjust and settle into the craziness of their high school academic, athletic, extracurricular and personal lives since we first met each other four years ago, they were also patient with me as I was learning my way around a new city, new school and new culture of life in general in the Southeastern USA.

These seniors are only five weeks away from the end of their adolescence and from the beginning of the college/"real world" life.   With high expectations in all aspects of the school at which I teach, surviving it through four years and graduating is a huge accomplishment.

When I first moved down to Knoxville in July 2010, I was beginning the long-distance period in my thus-far 2-year relationship with my boyfriend (yes, David).  Upon my arrival that summer, I jumped right into my first contract duty of the year as an assistant cross country coach before school even began.  We had started pre-season training for the fall already.  I was trying to learn the student athletes' names, prepare workouts with the other coach, become familiar with the new text books and technology from my new school, prepare lesson plans for the beginning of the year, clean up and order things for my apartment, all while trying to find time to eat and sleep before classes started in mid-August.  My TV didn't even work when I first moved it down here, but for those first three months of school and coaching, I didn't even have time to watch TV, so it didn't matter.  I couldn't believe how early they started school down here in the South at first!  In Wisconsin, it's a state law that schools can't start earlier than Labor Day because they need the kids to work in their summer tourist attractions through August.  Teaching and coaching is NOT a 10-month gig like most people think... We DO work just about every week of the year!

Since Fall 2010, David and Hank moved down to Knoxville with me in November 2010, we got engaged in October 2011, I started teaching both French and Spanish in 2012 while continuing to coach two sports seasons each year, David and I got married in August 2012, and then eventually it was time to announce to family and friends that we finally had a healthy baby girl on the way to arrive in August 2014.

 June 2008, Our first "wedding" together for his good friends, Elizabeth and Peter, from Washington & Lee

July 2008, Miller Open Family Reunion in Wisconsin

Engagement celebration with brunch at Ruby Tuesday's, October 2011

August 2012, wedding reception at The Culver Academies campus
 
(photo credit: Ginny & Grant Munroe)
(photo credit: Ginny & Grant Munroe)

Four years can seem like a long time and a short time in so many ways.  As May 2014 approaches, it is a milestone for many friends, family and me, and we're excited about all the adventures to come, as soon as this summer!  For our part, we will be busy with "baby preparations," but I'm also getting lesson plans ready for my maternity leave as I take time off until October.  It seems so far, yet so soon......

And, here are some prom "glamour shots" that my husband graciously accepted to take for me before he left to watch the NCAA Final Four games at Walt's house.  (I might be the only person in Knoxville bummed that the Wisconsin Badgers lost!)

April 2014, Chaperone dress for a 22-week pregnant woman at a high school prom
(I had quite a few "belly touches" from students and colleagues last night.  For some women, it's annoying, but I LOVE it!  Touch away!)





No comments:

Post a Comment